Friday, May 25, 2018

Class Notes 5-24-2018

Today was the last Thursday class for me until I return from my trips north to visit children and friends, show Sherri some of the country she has not seen before, speak at various places, spend a little time in our KY home. We had a good class today going over a number of things. I will try to connect using Hangouts over the weeks we will be away. It all depends on a good WiFi connection wherever we are. I will send an email to let you know or you can just check in on Thursday afternoons at 4:00 PM Eastern. The link is http://tinyurl.com/DickEvans. If I am not there you can connect with whoever is and have a Q&A session without me.



On the left of my taskbar I had a Cortana search window that was taking too much space for my taste. I would rather have more room for taskbar items.


Right-click on the taskbar> click on Cortana > then choose Hidden, Shoe Cortana icon, or Show search box. I checked Hidden.

Then to open Cortana just press Windows+Q and the Cortana window with a search box appears.

In that search box we can type the name of a program, like quick assist, and a link to it will appear at the top of the window. Press Enter to open the program or right click to pin the link to your Start Menu or to the taskbar. You can also create a desktop shortcut.



Click Open file location



Right-click the program name, then click Create shortcut



Click Yes and a shortcut with it’s icon will appear on the desktop

One of our members found a great Chrome browser extension: Block ads from Facebook. Yes it really works.
http://tinyurl.com/6m2rfcc and search for “facebook ad blocker” and add it to chrome.

We talked again about the importance of image backups and using Google Photos to automatically backup your photos from your cell phone to the Google cloud at NO CHARGE. There is no limit to how many pictures you send and you can view them anywhere by simply signing in with your Google credentials.



We looked at using a cell phone amplifier to boost cell signals inside your home. It works by having you place an antenna outside your home and pointing it toward the cell tower nearest you. So instead of having to go outside to make a call you can have full access in the house.

Here is one for Verizon 4G LTE for $47… http://tinyurl.com/y73jxhqr

I found recently after my iPhone phone battery was needing recharging after a few hours that I could go to Settings and Battery and turn on the Low Power Mode. I still get my phone calls, text messages, and Facebook messages. Google Maps still works. And at the end of the day I still have plenty of battery left. Not sure about an Android.

This works with all cell phones. Need a fast charge? Put the phone in Airplane mode. Nothing will be using the battery in the background and the charge time is less. REMEMBER to take it out of Airplane mode when the charge is done or you will not get phone calls, texts, etc.

In addition to my own research, I want to give thanks to Harold at the Club, Ghacks.net Newsletter, AskLeo, tomshardware, and DavesComputerTips.com for the useful ideas we take a look at each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment