Saturday, October 29, 2016

Hangouts Summary 10-27-2016

There were five of us this week and I was able to get on with my cell phone for a hot spot and my Chromebook for Hangouts. I did not have anything planned this week--a lot going on her in KY and I am not on the Internet all the time here to poke around. But we did touch on a number of things as we all shared.

One of the members has had a strange event. Windows reset itself back to the way it was on March 15th. All files were also brought back to that date. Because of backups of files in the last few weeks recovery was possible, but the reason for the anomaly is unknown. Anybody have any thoughts? I was at a loss.

Part of that problem was the way to download pictures that had been stored in Google Photos. We were told that they all came down as tiny thumbnails and not as the original files. I logged on to Photos and tried it. Right-clicking on the pictures that show on the screen is not the answer. Those are just thumbnails. You must open the picture by clicking on it or select the group you want to download, then click the three dots in the upper right and chose Download. The original pictures will come down to your computer.

Another member was experiencing slow internet access. He ran speedtest.net and found out that he was only getting 3 mbps instead of the 10mbps he is paying for. He called his provider so they would fix the problem. Good idea to run that once in a while to make sure you are getting what you are paying for. And BTW don’t let the provider sell you on a really fast connection speed. I am getting 5 mbps on my cell phone hot spot and can stream movies without any issues. 6 mbps is plenty fast enough, but they want to sell you 60-75 mbps.

I mentioned what I am using for backup once again. I do a Macrium Reflect image about once a month. And I put all my new photos in Google Photos as I take them on my cell phone. Someday I will upload all my older ones. They are backed up in my image files.

Then I let Mozy.com back up my data folders automatically. When connected to the internet, it looked for any files that have changed or are new and puts a copy in the cloud. The first 2gb are free and you get .25gb more if you use my code (below). If you are using Google Photos there is no need to let Mozy back those folders up. For most home users the free 2.25gb should be plenty to backup the other documents. And for $5.99/mo you can purchase 50gb more space.

Mozy Backup; use code GFBU22 to get the extra .25gb
http://www.mozy.com/free

No comments:

Post a Comment